Wednesday 11 February 2009

Memories from 1948


I have been hoping to interview June Gregory since I first discovered her at the PALs desk. I was taking my leaflets around early on in the residency, chatting to anyone who would listen and was delighted to hear that her memories went back to 1948. Early in 2009 I sat with her at the desk and taped a fairly long interview with her which I hope to use in the final work. It will be installed in the link between Outpatients and Riverside connecting the past with the future.

June's earliest memory of the in connection with UHL was as a very young child of her mother falling off the bus on her way to visit her father who was in the hospital with a reoccurring duodenal ulcer. "Surgery was not what it is today and he was in and out of there constantly for very long stays. The wards were very long and he used to refer to the sister as 'Hitler' as she was greatly feared by staff and patients alike and ran the ward as a captain would run a ship. There were always long queues for people to visit and you had to collect a chit from a window before you could come in. There was also always a flower seller outside.

No comments: